New Motto New Directions

on Tuesday, January 6, 2009


Today is the first day of my second semester lecture in University of Malaya for my HRM class. Something caught my attention which I think it is worth to share is the UM motto had been change from "Producing Leaders since 1905" to "The Leader in Research and Innovation". I think this will set the new direction for the university in the near future. I dare to say that new motto bring new energy and new paradigm shift to the staff.

Out of curiosity, I went into UM website and impressed with the welcome message made by the new Vice Chancellor, Ghauth Jasmon. In one of his statement, he mentioned "Entrepreneurship is strongly promoted in the university where innovative schemes managed by the Centre for Technology Transfer and Commercialization are available that makes it easy for staff or students to set up companies, especially if they have new innovative business ideas or patents with commercial value. The university of today needs to strive for more than it did before, especially in setting role models for entrepreneurial success." Wow! So cool!

In many corporate organization that I work with, setting the right vision, mission, corporate values and motto is so important to set the direction right for the company. I remember sharing with my students on the success story of Toyota Motor Corporation when they first decided to penetrate to United States. In order to get everyone committed and make sure the project will be successful, the company involve all the employees in the decision making and finally they came out with the brand "L.E.X.U.S" (Lets EXport to United States). It was innovative yet motivating for the employees and finally became the best selling car in U.S.

With the dynamic and changing business environment, I believe it is all right for your organization to re-think and review your current vision, mission or motto if it is time to change!


0 comments: